Wednesday, September 21, 2011

How to Wednesday. Checkered Patterened Background

Hi Everyone,
I've got a fun little technique for you today. I call it the Checkered Background Technique. I hope you like it! Here is the card I made using this technique.
Kids visit and checkered background 109
I love Cherry Cobbler and Always Artichoke on Very Vanilla….kind of gives this card a Nostalgic look…don’t you think?
Want to learn how to do this background?

It's a Technique that you can do with the Stripes Embossing Folder. I hope you will give it a try…it’s easy…it's fun….and it's oh so cute!!!

First you need to take a piece of Card stock cut to 4 1/4 x 5 1/2
Kids visit and checkered background 088
Next collect two of your colored pads that you will use, a brayer, the Stripped Embossing Folder and your Big Shot.
Kids visit and checkered background 089
Load your Brayer with one of the colors of ink and brayer onto the inside top portion (lettering on top) of your Embossing Folder. Then lay your cut piece of card stock in and crank it through your Big Shot. This is what you will end up with.
Kids visit and checkered background 094Kids visit and checkered background 095
Next rinse your Embossing Folder and your Brayer under water to clean and get ready for your next color. Make sure to dry it well with Paper Towels.
Kids visit and checkered background 096Kids visit and checkered background 100
Brayer on the Second Color
Kids visit and checkered background 090 Kids visit and checkered background 091
Lay your stripped piece across the stripes this time and run through the Big Shot again……see what you get???
Kids visit and checkered background 103 Kids visit and checkered background 105
Here are the elements I’ve used for my card…..
Greeting Card Kids Stamp Set. Cherry Cobbler Seam Binding. Cherry Cobbler Card Stock cut to 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 and then I trimmed the piece of checkered to 3 7/8 x 4 1/4. I used the Lace Ribbon Border Punch to add a little border at the bottom just to introduce a bit of Always Artichoke into the mix.

I then stamped the image with Stazon and colored with my Aqua Painter and Earth Elements Watercolor Crayons, using Always Artichoke and Cherry Cobbler, what else.
Kids visit and checkered background 106 Kids visit and checkered background 107
I then tucked the Triple Bow behind the checkered piece and secured with adhesive. and attached all to the front of the card base. I did pop up the oval image piece with Dimensionals.

I had a little piece of the checkered left over so included it at the bottom inside to finish it off.
Kids visit and checkered background 109
Oh and I didn’t use the button….just didn’t think it needed it. Hope you enjoyed this fun and easy tutorial and will give it a try.
Thanks for stopping in……
Lee

11 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for the wonderful idea.
    Hugs Sabine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great tutorial - now I finally need a brayer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so clever Lee. This has made this embossing folder a 'must' for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome, I just love the Vintage Look! Thanks for sharing your great tutorial. I don't have the stripes yet! When I do I am going to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tutorial. When I looked at this quickly the first time, I thought you were using the plastic sheets we use to sell for creating this look on 12 x 12 papers. I think it was called a plaid maker. Cute card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so pretty. I love the colors you used.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this, at first I thought now what dsp is that, I hadn't seen that but now you show me how to make my own, I love it. Your choice of colors are great and very vintage looking for Christmas, Thanks for sharing this it's always wonderful when we can use our supplies in many different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just tried this and I loved the result. Now if only my hands would rinse as clean as the folder and brayer. I'm so messy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cool! Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete